With the holiday season already upon us, many families are sure to go on at least one or two trips this season. Arranging travel plans can be a hectic experience, and many people forget to prepare their homes before leaving for extended periods of time, which can result in costly repairs or unforeseen damages.
RighTime Home Services wants to help keep your home safe and ready for when you leave. Here are some tips to help ensure peace of mind while traveling.
- Unplug small appliances and electronic devices, such as cell phone chargers or microwaves. This can save homeowners small amounts of money on their electric bill that can add up over time.
- Don’t forget to put the water heater in vacation mode to help save energy. Switching gears will allow your water heater to have a break and helps save money.
- In wintertime, set your thermostat five to ten degrees lower than normal before you leave town. In summer, five to ten degrees warmer will help save energy while you’re away. Better yet, invest in a smart thermostat that’s programmable and accessible via smartphone.
- Make sure gutters, downspouts and drains are clear in the event that there are heavy rains to ensure your home doesn’t incur flood damage.
- During a short trip, leave a few small lights on throughout the house to make it look occupied. For a longer vacation, invest in inexpensive automatic timers that can turn lights on and off at staggered intervals, making your house look occupied without running up your electricity bill.
Taking the time to prepare your home for a vacation ensures peace of mind. And who doesn’t want that during the holidays?
If you’d like to make an appointment with RighTime Home Services and talk about other ways in which you can prep your home, give us a call at (951) 338-9677 or visit https://www.rightimeservices.com.