Plumbing: We all know the importance it plays in the home and in our world as a whole. But, how often do you REALLY think about plumbing on a daily basis? When it comes to homeowners, plumbing is often ignored until something goes wrong.
With a few home maintenance and plumbing tips, you could potentially avoid an inconvenient plumbing crisis, some costly repairs and a lot of stress.
The following is a short list of Plumbing Do’s and Don’ts that will help you get started.
- Keep a trash can under your sink: Refrain from placing anything that could bump your drainpipes, which could end up causing leaks.
- Throw these down your garbage disposal: High-fiber materials, such as onionskins, celery and cornhusks, as well as coffee grounds, meat bones and pieces. These items have a high risk of tangling around the disposer and clogging your drain, causing you a major plumbing headache.
- Pour hot water down your toilets: Toilet bowls were not designed for hot water and may cause cracks.
- Drain any fats or cooking oils down the sink: These products will build up in your drains and cause blockages.
- Check your toilets for leaks annually: Remove the tank lid, add food coloring to the water in the tank. Check the bowl in ten or fifteen minutes. If you see color, the flapper valve may be leaking. Schedule a check-up with your plumbing professional to keep your mind at ease.
- Run cold water down your garbage disposal: Cold water helps clean your drains and pass pesky-buildups.
- Pour boiling water down tub and shower drains. We know we said don’t do this to your toilet, but when it comes to the tub and shower, it’s a different story. Hot water helps prevent build-ups from soap grease and hair. Pouring two to three gallons once a month is advised.
There are many ways to help keep your home’s plumbing system running smoothly, including having a trusted plumber by your side. We’d be happy to help! Give RighTime Home Services in Riverside a call at (951) 643-0189 or visit us at https://www.rightimeservices.com.