Drains. We all have them! Are you aware of what should and shouldn’t be put down your drains? Today, we’re going to focus on the kitchen. The kitchen can be one of the most popular rooms in a household, and it can be easy to forget what you’re putting down the drain.
Here are some things you want to be careful to avoid putting down the drain, and some tips on how to keep your kitchen disposal running smoothly.
DON’T – the following should never go down your kitchen drains:
- Fats, oils and grease
- Onion skins
- Extremely fibrous substances, such as asparagus and corn husks
- Coffee grounds
- Fruit pits and seeds
- Large amounts of food
- Non-food items
- Harsh chemicals
DO – drain away!
- Citrus rinds
- Small pieces of most meats, vegetable scraps and other foods (except those mentioned above)
- To properly dispose of small scraps and safe liquids down your disposal, keep the water running to avoid jamming
- Run your disposal regularly
- Use a compost bin for the food that can ruin your disposal!
Kitchen disposal backups and issues can be costly and inconvenient. Follow these tips and keep your kitchen drain running smoothly. If you have any questions regarding your plumbing system, call RighTime Home Services Orange County at (714) 793-0739 or visit us at www.rightimeservices.com/locations/orange-county/.