Before the end of the school year and summer vacation, many are planning and preparing for an upcoming spring break trip. When prepping for time spent away from home, not all homeowners are aware of some simple precautions.
RighTime would like to provide you with a few helpful tips on how to get your home vacation-ready before that long awaited spring break trip:
- If you have a security system installed in your home, notify your security company that you will be out of town, and for how long. The company will be able to keep a closer watch on any alarms or errors, notifying you and the police if any irregular activity should arise.
- If you do not have a security system set up in your home, notify your nearest family members and friends that you’ll be leaving. Ask your neighbors to keep a closer watch on your home, and to notify you if anything looks out of the ordinary.
- Stop mail and deliveries so that they don’t pile up at your doorstep while you’re away, burglars often look for this.
- If you’ll be away for an extended period, consider unplugging appliances and electronics. Think small appliances, such as lamps, toasters or coffee makers, and large appliances, such as your fridge, TVs and washer and dryer. Any appliances plugged in, even if they are not in use, will use energy, and in turn, cost you money!
- Make sure to turn off all lights before leaving the house and consider investing in an automatic timer. This will make it look like your family is at home without the need to leave any lights on.
- Run the dishwasher, empty the dishes, and leave the dishwasher door open. This will allow the inside of the unit to dry, and it won’t smell musty when you return.
- Turn off all water valves to the dishwasher, washing machine and sinks to prevent flooding while you’re away.
- Set the thermostat to a higher temperature, such as 82 to 85 degrees, ensuring that your unit only comes on if a heat wave occurs. This will help protect your indoor plants, candles and more. Flush all toilets and leave the lids up, so you don’t come home to unpleasant, stagnant water.
Your family’s spring break should be fun and worry-free, so remember to properly secure your home with the above tips before departing on your trip!
If you’re interested in learning more about how to prep your home for an upcoming family vacation, give RighTime Home Services a call. We’re happy to help! You can reach us at (951) 643-0570 or visit us at https://www.rightimeservices.com/location/riverside/.